Understanding that ‘business as usual’ is no longer an option if the seriousness of economic inequality, climate change, the need for social transformation and human kind’s footprint on the Earth are factored in, Gauteng Refinery has created a Corporate Social Responsibility Framework which is in line nationally with :
- The Mining Charter 2018
- The South African Diamonds and Precious Metals Regulator
and internationally with :
- The United Nations Sustainable Development Goals
- The Responsible Jewellery Council
We are committed to serving Africa in as holistic a manner as possible to benefit both the people and the land.
CSR VISION :
Profit, people and planet hold equal value in the precious metal beneficiation process.
CSR MISSION :
Improving the wellbeing of marginalised people along with the ecosystems in which they live.
CSR PRINCIPLES :
Profit : a successful company cannot be that without consideration of its staff
- Health and safety
- Skills development
- Enterprise development
- Socio-economic development
People : working with marginalised people in a manner determined by themselves
Planet : considering ecosystems as the fundamental determinant of human wellbeing.
SOCIO-ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT POLICY
SED VISION :
An equitable society where everyone has what they need to lead full healthy lives.
SED MISSION :
A legacy approach to holistic social and economic development within ecological limits.
SED FOCUS AREAS :
- People :
- 1) People who live in rural areas are seldom heard and have ‘development’ plans imposed upon them. Development does not come from the outside but comes from within and it is condescending to believe that ‘experts’ know better than the people themselves what is required for a greater state of wellbeing.
- 2) The youth are considered South Africa’s ‘ticking time bomb’ as they are inadequately catered for.
To assist in addressing these challenges our focus will fall on :
- 1) Community development: rural communities who by virtue of not being in proximity to any industry or commercial hub seldom gain CSR benefit.
- 2) Youth empowerment: working with both rural and urban youth and targeting disabilities where possible, Gauteng Refinery seeks to take an holistic approach incorporating personal development, skills development and knowledge development.
- Planet :
- There is inadequate understanding that human wellbeing is totally dependent on ecological integrity. Gauteng Refinery therefore has a conscious environmental focus with a particular interest in energy and waters. As well as the theme of ecological integrity running through the social focus above, energy and water will have a specific focus but still with a social benefit.
To assist in addressing this challenge our focus will fall on :
- 1) In situ environmental education.
- 2) Off grid energy and water infrastructure.
CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
We not only respect the stakeholders who have a vested interest in our business, but also those who are affected by where we operate and what we do. As such we consider communities an important part of our stakeholder pool. We undertake a number of corporate social responsibility endeavours focused on historically disadvantaged South Africans.
Our commitment to these initiatives includes :
- to strive towards compliance with the provisions of the South African Government’s Broad Based Black Economic Empowerment ambitions
- to commit to investing in education and the development of youth
- to improve the quality of life of people in the rural communities through fostering awareness of the environment
- to promote ecological rehabilitation, sound environmental awareness and resource utilisation.
The Zonketina Athletes
The company sponsors soccer and netball teams comprising young, entrepreneurial athletes. Seen here are members of the soccer team. The intention of this contribution is to assist in the upliftment of the youth, as well as providing them with resources and opportunities not easily accessible in the rural area where they live. The team members say that playing sport and belonging to a team gives them motivation and direction.